- Phone: (952)474-8893
- Mailing Address: 301 County Road 19, Excelsior, MN 55331
Families Moving Forward is a shelter program of Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative. For families experiencing homelessness, FMF offers hospitality, emergency shelter, and a path to a home with support and stability. It has been in operation 20 years, and has programs in Hennepin and Carver Counties. In 2017, 75 families were served in FMF; 56 of them (75%) successfully moved into their own home.
Why Families Moving Forward?
We feel that Mount Calvary has the capacity and the compassion to continue being a leader in Community Outreach in our area. The success and growth of our Community Meal has taught us that we can and should open our doors to families in need, with the ultimate goal of helping them become self-sufficient citizens.
How does the program operate?
Volunteers from more than 80 congregations throughout Hennepin and Carver counties create shelter space at their church sites, one week at a time. In addition to a safe place to sleep and a warm meal, volunteers share kindness and compassion with families experiencing homelessness. Each family is carefully screened before being accepted into the program. Working alongside our churches, the FMF professional staff work closely with each family to address their unique barriers to stability so they may leave the shelter program and find permanent housing.
Program Operation Details
- Mount Calvary will host 4 families for one week (Sunday-Sunday). The families then go to another church site for one week, and so on.
- Our volunteers will set up temporary “bedrooms” for our guest families, which will be located in the education wing 2nd floor.
- School buses pick up the families from Mount Calvary each morning (approx. 6:30am), and return them each evening (approx. 5:30pm).
- During the day, the children go to school, and parents go to work, meet with FMF staff, search for housing and jobs, etc. Much of this takes place at the FMF Program Center, which is located in Chaska at Shepherd of the Hill Presbyterian Church.
- Mount Calvary will provide a take-along breakfast and lunch, and serve meals at church each evening. These dinners will take place in the Narthex area.
- Approximately 150 Mount Calvary volunteers will be needed for each weekly session, which includes 2 overnight hosts each night.
Costs for each weekly session will include food and supplies (toiletries, diapers, etc.), and are estimated at $750. We will ask for donations from our members to cover these costs.
Contact: Chris Anderson